- Preparation time:
- 1 hour plus 2-3 hours setting time
- Cooking time:
- 15 mins
- 6 trees, 24 cakes Makes
- 2 quantities royal icing
- 6 small waffle cones
- Silver cachous
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1¾ cups self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup milk
- Put a small star pipe into an icing bag and fill bag with royal icing, reserving the remainder. Sit a cone on 2 fingers of one hand. Starting from the base, pipe stars in a row around the cone to the top, finishing the top of the cone with a star. Repeat for remaining cones. Stand cones on a wire rack and add a few cachous randomly over the trees. Sit in a cool dry place for 2-3 hours to set.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line small muffin tins with paper cases. Beat butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, cinnamon and milk in a medium mixing bowl with electric beaters for 2-3 minutes or until well combined and creamy. Spoon mixture into paper cases, bake for 12-15 minutes or until well risen, golden and top springs back when lightly touched with fingertips. Remove from oven and stand on a wire rack to cool.
- Spread the centre of the top of 6 cakes with reserved royal icing; sit a dry tree on top. Set aside to set.
You also might like Karen Martini's Christmas cupcakes
This recipe will make about 24 little cakes. As you only need six for the recipe, the remainder can be frosted and served, or they can be frozen for up to one month.