- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- 5½ cups jam and about 16 pikelets serves
- 1.25kg fresh cherries, pitted, halved
- 2 x 500g packets CSR Jam Setting Sugar
- 30g unsalted butter
- 200ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- Extra 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 150g self-raising flour, sifted
- Cooking oil spray
- To make jam, put cherries and jam-setting sugar in a large bowl and toss to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Transfer cherry mixture to a deep, wide heavy based saucepan. Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Add butter and stir until melted. Increase heat and bring to a full rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down). Cook for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and skim any foam from surface.
- Spoon hot jam into sterilised glass jars and seal with lids.
- To make pikelets, whisk buttermilk, egg, caster sugar, and extra butter in a large bowl. Gently stir in flour until just combined. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with cooking oil and set over a medium heat. Spoon tablespoonfuls of batter into pan. Cook for 1 minute or until small bubbles form on top of each pikelet. Turn over and cook briefly until lightly golden. Repeat with remaining batter to make about 16 pikelets.
- Serve pikelets topped with cherry jam.
IF THIS RECIPE DOESN'T TICKLE YOUR TASTEBUDS, YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS ONE
Not sure whether the jam is set? To test, spoon a small amount onto a cold saucer and gently push your finger through. If the surface of the jam wrinkles, it’s ready to roll!