How to make felt reindeer
November 23, 2012, 11:15 am
How to make charming little reindeer, handmade with love. Keep them at home or give as gifts to spread Christmas cheer.
Gather your supplies
Fine felt-tip marker
Coloured craft felt
Scraps of white and red felt
Double-sided fusible webbing
Two small black beads
Scrap of narrow ribbon
- Step 1: Enlarge and cut out reindeer templates (above). When tracing around pieces, use a fine felt-tip marker on the wrong side of fabric. Do not add seam allowance when cutting.
- Step 2: From coloured felt, cut 2 bodies and 2 ears. From red felt, cut tiny red nose.
- Step 3: Trace antlers onto paper side of a scrap of double-sided fusible webbing. Iron webbing onto a small piece of white felt and cut out accurately on traced line. Remove backing paper and iron shape onto a second piece of white felt. Cut around outline of original piece, to give a double-thickness antler – this helps prevent it from flopping.
- Step 4: Match the 2 bodies, wrong sides facing, and stitch them together around the edge, working a small running stitch as close to the edge as possible. Start under belly and work around outline, inserting ears and antlers as appropriate and catching them in place as you stitch. When you get back to opposite end of belly seam, stuff body with fibrefill, then stitch opening closed.
- Step 5: Glue nose in place on face, stitch beads on for eyes and tie ribbon around neck.