Make a mirror with a flower design that is made out of none other than egg cartons.
Gather your supplies
12-cup egg cartons (you’ll need 5 cartons to make a small mirror or 12 to make a large mirror)
Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
Mirror tile or small mirror (frame removed)
Cut MDF 6cm longer and wider than mirror if you want a single row of roses, or 16cm longer and wider if you want a double row.
- Step 1: Make a mirror with a flower design that is made out of none other than egg cartons.
- Step 2: Cut 1 slit into each corner of 1 cup (to make 4 slits). Cut each piece into a petal shape. Repeat with another cup, to create second layer of rose. Repeat with a third cup, but cut petals a little smaller, then roll so petals curve and make a bud shape.
- Step 3: Hot glue the 3 layers together, offsetting middle layer so petals sit in spaces between petals of bottom layer. Finish with layer of smaller petals. Repeat process until you’ve made enough roses to completely surround mirror. Spray roses with white paint, if desired. Leave to dry.
- Step 4: Measure and mark 3cm in across top and down side from 1 corner of MDF. Rule a line to join marks and saw off triangle. Repeat for all corners. Position mirror in centre of MDF, trace around, then remove.
- Step 5: Drill 2 pairs of holes in frame above mirror position. Thread through picture hanging wire and secure. Paint MDF border with black paint and allow to dry. Glue mirror in position.
- Step 6: Starting at 1 corner, hot glue roses to frame, bending petals to fill in gaps if needed. Continue until frame is covered.
You’ll also need
Scissors; drill; handsaw; picture hanging wire; black acrylic paint; paintbrush; Selleys All Fix household adhesive; pencil; ruler; white enamel spray paint (optional)