Quiksilver have delved into the world of Slater, comparing him to athletes from traditional sports who have made history and measured their achievements to this all time surfing champ.
FACTS ABOUT KELLY SLATER:
- Kelly Slater has won 11 World Titles - more than any athlete in any major sport...ever. This includes Tiger Woods (10 x PGA Player of the Year), Wayne Gretzky (9 x Hart Trophy NHL MVP) and Peyton Manning (4 x NFL MVP)
- He holds 3 Guinness World Records, and the record for being both the youngest and the oldest surfer to win a World Title (a record he keeps breaking over and over!)
- He has won as many World Titles as the next three best surfers combined (Mark Richards claimed 5 World Titles, Tom Curren x 3 and Andy Irons x 3)
- He has won events in 11 countries and 6 continents. He is yet to conquer Antarctica, but only because there are no events held there.
- He has been featured in 28 documentaries, 10 episodes of Baywatch, 2 Hollywood films and published 2 books.
- People Magazine named him one of the '50 Most Beautiful People'
- GQ Magazine included him in their list of the 25 Coolest Athletes
- He's performed music with recording artists who have collectively created over 44 Gold or Platinum albums, including Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam (15 albums), Jackson Browne (11), Ben Harper (11), Perry Farrell from Jane's Addiction (5), Donovan Frankenreiter (1) and G Love (1).
BUT: DID YOU KNOW...???
Despite all of this, Kelly Slater has never been featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Interesting....
What do you think: Is Slater truly is “The Greatest Athlete of All Time”? Leave your comments below.