Baby suffers suction burn after sleeping with dummy

Letting your child sleep with a dummy could have some painful consequences.

A Michigan mother is warning parents about the potential dangers after her son experienced a nasty suction burn.

Kristen Milhone and son, Jack. Photo: Facebook/Kristen Milhone

Kristen Milhone noticed something on the face of her seven-month-old son’s face early in the morning on June 20.

I picked him up, and there was a really big bump on the side of his head,” Kristen told People.

“I thought, ‘Oh, that’s weird’. I turned on the light and it looked like the start of chemical burns on his right cheek.”

The painful blister left on 7-month-old Jack’s face. Photo: Facebook/Kristen Milhone

The worried mother took her son to the emergency room at Helev Devos Children’s Hospital, where doctors tried to figure out the cause of the burn. After ruling out ringworm, doctors asked Kristen if she remembered anything else around her son when she first noticed the blister.

Kristen told doctors that Jack had fallen asleep with his dummy – a Philips Avent Soothie. The silicone dummy is unlike traditional soothers, and has an open space where a handle would normally be placed.

I went and got the pacifier out of his car seat, and the doctor took the backside of the pacifier and he measured the opening on the backside to the spot on Jack’s face,” Kristen said. “It was the exact same size.”

The Philips Avent Soothie that is believed to cause “suction burn.” Photo: Twitter.

Doctors then told Kristen that her son likely rolled onto the dummy while sleeping, creating a suction between his skin and the soother’s open end creating what they deemed a ‘suction burn’.

“It was hard for me to understand or wrap my head around the fact that this caused him harm,”  Kristen revealed.

While Kristen is warning parents if their children use similar soothers, the makers of the dummy have issued a statement announcing an investigation into the potential risks of their design.

“Nothing is more important than the satisfaction and safety of our Philips Avent family. We are aware that one of our customers had a specific situation arise and we are committed to investigating her concern,” the statement read. “We have a strict process in place to evaluate quality and safety concerns.”

Milhone says Jack’s burn is healing and he no longer sleeps with his pacifier. Photo: Facebook/ Kristen Milhone 

According to Kristen, her son’s burn is healing, and is much less noticeable than before, but she’s pointed out that her son’s sleeping behaviour has changed since the incident.

You can still tell he’s very sensitive in that area, so we still put the cream on it,” Kristen said.

“He used to actually like to roll on that side, and he doesn’t roll on that side anymore when he sleeps. He’ll wake himself up as soon as his head touches the mattress.”

The mum is understandably extra cautious since the injury and no longer leaves the dummy with her son while he sleeps.

Got a story tip? Send it to

Want more celebrity, entertainment and lifestyle news? Follow Be on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram.