Aldi shopper claims frozen food left her hospitalised

Gillian Wolski
·Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
·3-min read

An Aldi shopper has taken to Facebook to share her experience after eating a frozen turkey breast from the discount supermarket’s Christmas range.

The woman claims to have suffered a severe bout of food poisoning after consuming the turkey and says she was rushed to hospital in an ambulance where she spent several hours on an IV drip in the emergency department.

Exterior shot of Aldi store in Australia
A shopper has been hospitalised after consuming a popular item from Aldi's frozen food range. Photo: Getty Images.

“Last night I had a frozen Turkey breast from Aldi from their Christmas range,” she wrote in a private Facebook group.

“I have never been so sick in my life with food poisoning.

“Ambulance trip and 5 hours in ED [emergency department] with an IV [drip] and I am still recovering today.”

She stressed that she “followed all storage and cooking instructions” for the product and included a warning for other Aldi shoppers; “If you have got one of these for Christmas beware,” she wrote.

An Aldi spokesperson tells Yahoo Lifestyle: “We are in contact with the customer to further investigate this claim.”

RELATED:

Frozen turkey filet on a brown background.
The woman is 'still recovering' after a severe bout of food poisoning. Photo: Getty Images.

The NSW Food Authority website explains that food poisoning symptoms can be the result of any food that was eaten in the last few days:

“Symptoms of food poisoning, particularly vomiting, can occur within a short time after eating contaminated food. The last meal you ate may indeed have made you sick.

“But it is also possible that the illness was due to a food eaten quite a long time before you became ill.

“Onset of the first symptoms after consumption of the contaminated food is different according to the specific bugs (pathogens) that caused it. So consider all the foods eaten over the 3 days before symptoms first appeared.”

Shopper starts discussion

The woman’s post attracted a lot of discussions in the comments section, with fellow Facebook users sharing their shock and well-wishes.

A few users questioned whether it was actually food poisoning that the woman had experienced considering a nasty gastro virus was ‘currently going around’.

“Definitely food poisoning! Was sick approximately 4.5 hours after eating and was sweaty. Dr at the hospital confirmed it was food poisoning from my dinner,” the woman responded.

She also explained that she was the only one in her family to fall ill, as her husband had yet to return home for dinner that evening.

Other commenters piped up to say that they’d consumed the turkey breast in the past and had no issues.

“We had one a couple of weeks ago. We are all fine,” one reported.

“We had one Sunday night no issues here was delicious,” another added to which the woman replied, “It was delicious at the time and I would never have suspected to get sick.”

Gastro or viral gastroenteritis is, as the name suggests, caused by a viral infection that inflames the stomach and intestines. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and cramps and they usually occur 24-48 hours after exposure to the virus.

Food poisoning has similar symptoms to gastro however it can be caused by bacteria, viruses or parasites. Symptoms typically begin earlier than gastro, about two to six hours after eating contaminated food.

Food poisoning is more common than gastro and people with food poisoning tend to feel better after a few days. Gastro symptoms, however, can linger for a week to 10 days.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.