The ABC managing director has apologised to former Q+A host Stan Grant after he quit as the host of the popular current affairs panel talk show.
In an internal email, seen by the Sydney Morning Herald, David Anderson also announced a review would be taking place over how the taxpayer-funded organisation handles racist abuse lobbed at its staff.
“Stan has our full support,” said Mr Anderson in the staff email, “and he has always had our full support. Stan makes an enormous contribution to conversations of national importance.
Mr Grant, 59, was criticised by some ABC viewers over a discussion on monarchy he launched during the broadcast of the Coronation of King Charles III earlier in May.
“If we did not do this, we would not be doing our job,” said Mr Anderson, this can sometimes result in strong reactions.
“Unfortunately, it is increasingly drawing unacceptable abuse, particularly online and through social media.
“How the ABC supports people in these moments is important. Stan Grant has stated that he has not felt publicly supported. For this, I apologise to Stan.
“The ABC endeavours to support its staff in the unfortunate moments when there is external abuse directed at them.”
Mr Grant announced he would be stepping down as Q+A host in an opinion piece published by the ABC on Friday, and would also be taking a break from social media, following racist backlash online.