Hey, good morning! You look fabulous.
Welcome to your weekend! Now that Apple's new laptop is here, it's time to tear it apart and look inside. Disney is responding to Simpsons fans, and Amazon has a new high-quality Echo speaker. Finally, there's a new episode of the Engadget Podcast and we'll look back at some highlights from this week like our hands-on with Motorola's new foldable RAZR.
Naturally, the teardown team at iFixit was bound to get their hands on the 16-inch MacBook Pro and see exactly how its keyboard works. Just as expected, the new keyboard is nearly identical to the one in the 2015 MacBook Pro as well as Apple's external Bluetooth Magic Keyboard.
In a repeat of an issue that occurred when FXX started playing old Simpsons episodes a few years ago, someone decided to crop and zoom older content so it fills out an HD widescreen frame. In a statement, a Disney spokesperson said that "in early 2020" it will offer a toggle for the first 19 seasons of episodes so people can choose to view them in their original format -- important for many visual gags that extend to the top or bottom of the frame.
After months of thinking, curating, photographing and more thinking, we've come up with a holiday gift guide that covers all the bases (and budgets), from laptops and mobile devices, to toys, to the smart home, to book and media recommendations (only on nerdy subjects, of course). All told, there are more than 150 items in our guide, spanning 13 categories, with advice from 25 of our writers and editors. You know, the people testing and reviewing this stuff all year long.
Get ready for the holidays with an in-depth look at Engadget's holiday gift guide! This week, editor in chief Dana Wollman joins Devindra to chat about how we pick the best gadget gifts and some of the wildest choices we've made. And of course, we find time to dive into the giant laptop in the room, the 16-inch MacBook Pro.
To get the most out of this Echo Studio, Billy Steele writes that you'll want to consider a high-res streaming plan like Amazon Music HD. The 3D audio options are a bit limited for now, but even regular Spotify sounds great on this thing. It's by far the best-sounding Echo yet, and probably will be for the foreseeable future.
According to statistics, the average household has 1.8 to 2 cars. It depends on who you ask, but let's just accept that there are more families that have two cars than have one. Roberto Baldwin makes the argument that if you have two vehicles, at least one of them should be something like a fun-to-drive Mini SE or Model 3.
This is the second time this year the company has raised its rate on live television streaming. In February, there was a $5/month hike to $45.99 -- up from the $39.99 price when the service debuted in 2017. Now it's going up to $54.99, as of December 18th.
Even in pre-production form, Roberto Baldwin reports the Taycan Turbo S EV feels solid and ready for everything from cruising around town to tackling the track.
But wait, there's more...
- Amazon is selling the new 16-inch MacBook Pro for $100 less than Apple
- Motorola's revived RAZR is a fashion-forward foldable
- Apple replaces the 15-inch MacBook Pro with a redesigned 16-inch model
- Disney+ has arrived, here's everything you need to know
- Apple bans vaping apps from the App Store
- The latest Xbox One update adds Google Assistant voice controls
- 'Fortnite' will let you play as a stormtrooper
- 'Minecraft Earth' early access arrives in the US
- Netflix explains why its apps won't work on older TVs and set-top boxes
- Walmart's early Black Friday deal: 512GB 10.5-inch iPad Pro for $599
- What we've been watching: 'State of the Union' and 'Little Monsters'
- Netflix and Nickelodeon team up to take on Disney+
- Nike will no longer sell its shoes and apparel on Amazon
- Adidas abandons robot Speedfactories in Germany and the US
The Morning After is a new daily newsletter from Engadget designed to help you fight off FOMO. Who knows what you'll miss if you don't Subscribe.
Have a suggestion on how we can improve The Morning After? Send us a note.