Eukanuba Extraordinary Dogs is a weekly series that features dogs all over the world from working canines to our furry friends at home. Focusing on some of the amazing attributes these animals display including strength, agility, healing and instinct the show appeals to dog lovers everywhere.
To help you look after your extraordinary dog at home, Dr Rachele Lowe shares some quirky facts and tips you might not know:
• Dogs turn in circles before lying down because in the wild this instinctive action turns long grass into a bed. To keep your pooch at home comfortable, make sure they have a specified place to sleep and keep it in the same spot. This will help them feel secure
• A small breed dog’s stomach is the size of a walnut!
• An adult dog has 42 teeth that require specific care. It’s also important to try to brush their teeth regularly with specialised products and have annual dental check-ups
• The dog’s average life expectancy is 8 to 15 years. Make sure you visit a vet for regular check-ups even when they’re healthy as this will help maintain your pet’s health and well being and keep them with you longer
• At birth puppies are deaf, blind, and toothless and have almost no sense of smell. To ensure your puppy develops into a strong adult dog, ensure you feed them with a puppy specific food like Eukanuba Puppy Food as it contains a clinically proven level of DHA for optimal brain development
• Dogs have twice as many muscles for moving their ears as people. Dog’s use these ear muscles to display over 100 different facial expressions! These extraordinary ears also help dogs to hear sounds at four times the distance that humans can
• The average dog's mouth exerts 150 to 200 pounds of pressure per square inch. Some dogs can apply up to 450 pounds. To avoid your dog exercising their jaws on your belongings, give some generous thought to how you can keep them entertained. Try rolling treat balls, sand pits with buried treasures and water troughs to play in and make sure they receive adequate exercise by walking them often. This will help ease any destructive behaviour that can arise from boredom
• Some dogs grow 30 metres of fur per day – that’s the equivalent of six family sized cars! This includes adding up all the new strands covering the entire animal end-to-end. The Eukanuba Vital Health System™ supports their skin and coat to keep them looking shiny and healthy
• To a young dog, exercise and play are the day's most important events. As a dog gets older, he lives for dinner time. As your dog matures it’s important to keep their nutrition tailored to their age
• The best dog to reportedly attract a date is the Golden Retriever, the worst is the Pit Bull. When choosing your new pooch, ensure you research the breed and match it appropriately with your lifestyleEukanuba Extraordinary Dogs shows on Channel 7 every Saturday 5pm.