What are 10 items you always have in your shopping basket every week?
1. Continental Stock Pot – it’s very clever and versatile. I’m like everyone else at home. I have my kitchen and stocked up cupboards like everyone else. I use it at home. You can dilute it with apple juice or cider or even wine. If families are prepared to be adventurous, then this is where the beauty comes into it.
2. Ketchup – The children love it and it’s a necessity. I also make vinaigrettes with it. You can also get the children involved in making the sauce.
3. Fine olive oil
4. Mustard – I like English mustard. It’s my favourite. It’s a pure mustard. I prefer it to the French ones – I find them too vinegary.
5. Mayonnaise (Helmans) – We very rarely make mayonnaise at home and the kids love it. I add bits to it too to make it interesting. I think it’s a great blank canvas.
6. Malt vinegar (or red wine vinegar) – it’s great for roast chicken. Delicious!
7. Worcestershire sauce – I have it with Welsh rabbit on toast or in shepherds pie. It’s great as a seasoning. I use it always to season. My cupboard is filled with bottles and jars. It’s a different way of cooking at home to at the restaurant.
8. Really good pasta.
9. Aborio rice – I like one pot cuisine. There’s more flavour in a pot than in a pan. I like stews, risottos and pastas.
10. Selection of spices – nutmeg, saffron, black and white pepper. They’re my friends and I bring them out at dinner to play. It’s amazing what flavours you can create with a bit of help.
Do you have any favourite indulgent snacks or treats?
I always buy twice as much as I need when I shop. I like savoury food more so. But every so often I get a craving for puddings. I also love peanut butter on toast, and honey on toast and marmite on toast.
It all goes back to my childhood. It’s about comfort and the emotional impact on me.
What are your favourite ingredients or food items that you are cooking with at the moment?
I like Spanish butter beans rather than white butter beans. You can buy canned products but it’s all about the quality of it. It’s about making your food tasty and feeding your family and feeding them well.
Do you have any favourite fruit?
I love pineapple and mangoes. When figs are in season and strawberries are in season.
It’s the best to cook with seasonal produce. It’s different now, everything is available for us whenever we want it because somewhere in the world it’s in season.Favourite vegetables?
I always buy vegetables when I know what I want to accompany what I’m cooking.I don’t buy them whenever. I’m quite classical and simple when I cook at home with vegetables. Fish with potatoes and basic things like that…