Two thirds of us are actively trying to lose weight, but is model-thin really that appealing? Melissa Field hit the streets with this billboard - bearing images of women sized 6 to 16 - to find out.
- 87.5cm is the average waist size of Australian women aged over 25 - an increase of 2cm in five years*
- 67.7kg is the average weight of Australian women†
- In our study, men were more evenly divided between all the sizes than women – suggesting they’re less focused on one body shape than we might think
- Less than 10% of the people canvassed voted for a size 6 or 8
- 13% of men voted for size 14 - nearly twice the number who voted for size 6
- One in four people thought a size 14 or 16 were the sexiest body shapes
- 16 is the average Australian dress size‡
- 18 is the average US dress size#
How confident are you when it comes to looks and career?
How They Voted
- AusDiab 2004/05 study. †Overweight and Obesity in Adults, Australia, 2004-05, Australian Bureau of Statistics. ‡National Size and Shape Survey of Australia, University of Adelaide, 2003. #Size USA survey 2004