Follow Elixr Health Clubs on Twitter: @ElixrHealthClub
We’ve all been told how important stretching is, though very few of us abide by this advice. It can be quite a tedious activity, however there are two very important stretches you should consider implementing into your daily routine (or at least every time you exercise). And these two stretches can be done within one minute.
Hip Flexor Stretches
Your hip flexors are a group of muscles that are in contraction (and therefore have a tendency to become tight) if you: sit at a desk, walk or cycle. One of the major hip flexors attaches to your spine, so if this muscle is tight or strained, it can cause back pain.
Stretching this muscle group is very easy. Here's how:1. Drop to your knees on a soft surface (get a pillow or a folded towel)
2. Lunge one leg forward
3. Bend your front knee (having most of your weight on your front foot)
4. Lean your torso back
5. Breathe slowly and deeply
6. Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds and then change sides
Your chest muscles are generally in contraction when you are slouched over a desk and any time you bring your arms in front of yourself. Having tight chest muscles leads to poor posture (where your shoulders are hunched forward). By having a more flexible chest, your chest will be broader and you will be taller!
Stretching this muscle group is also a very easy task:1. Place one arm against a wall with your bicep parallel to the ground, and have your elbow bent at about 90 degrees
2. Lunge the leg of the same side forward (e.g. if your right arm is on the wall, step your right foot forward) so that your arm on the wall is positioned behind your body.
3. Bend the knee of your front leg and lean forward
4. Breathe slowly and deeply
5. Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds and then change sides
Last week: How to maintain your workout motivation
For more information head to elixr.com.au.