1. Place chicken in a large saucepan and fill with just enough water to cover. Place green leek tops, onion, bay leaf and carrots in saucepan; slowly bring to the boil. Remove pan from heat, cover and set aside to cool for about 50 minutes.
2. Transfer chicken to work surface, reserving poaching liquid. Remove skin and discard. Strip meat from chicken, place in an airtight container and refrigerate until needed.
3. Return chicken bones to saucepan with poaching liquid and vegetables. Set on stovetop over medium heat and bring to the boil; reduce heat and gently simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Strain stock and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C.
5. Make mushroom sauce: heat oil in a frypan. Slice remaining leek portions, add to pan with mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of the stock, a little at a time, stirring continuously until sauce is well combined and smooth.
6. Add cream cheese, lemon juice, salt and pepper; stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. Fill a standard pie dish with chicken. Spoon mushroom sauce over top.
8. Cover with pastry. Brush top with milk and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Nutritional Info per serving
2,282 kJ (545 cal), 46g protein, 24g carbs, 6g fibre, 28g fat (7g sat fat), 462mg sodium
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo!7
All rights reserved.