1. Heat a grill pan or barbecue to high heat. Place onion, garlic and ginger on pan; grill until surfaces blacken, up to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and brush off any loose charred pieces.
2. Place onion, garlic and ginger in a large stockpot. Add chicken, spices, sugar, fish sauce and salt to pot and fill with enough water to cover chicken (about 5 litres).
3. Cover pot and bring to the boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside for 45 minutes to cook chicken.
4. Remove chicken from pan; strip meat and skin from bones. (Discard skin.) Cover chicken strips and refrigerate. (Use the leftovers to make chicken-noodle soup; recipe at right).
5. Put bones back into stockpot. Return to heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. During cooking, use a slotted spoon to skim skin from the surface.
6. Strain stock through a fine-mesh sieve.
7. Allow to cool, then scrape excess fat from surface of stock.
Nutritional Info per serving (100ml)
47 kJ (11 cal), 1g protein, 1g carbs, 0g fibre, 0g fat (0g sat fat), 177mg sodium
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo!7
All rights reserved.