- TV & Video
- Renovation & Decorating
- How To
- Be Healthy
- home beautiful
Extra flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked, to serveCreamY mustard potatoes
Girello is a cut of beef from the eye of the silverside. Corned beef is usually made from silverside, but girello is preferable for this recipe as it’s easier to cut into thick slices.
1. Put beef, carrot, celery, onion, parsley leaves and stalks, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves and thyme in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and bring to a simmer. Cook for 1½ hours or until beef is tender. Remove from heat, cover pan, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, to make Creamy Mustard Potatoes, put onion, salt and sugar in a bowl and toss to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften.
3. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add potato and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
4. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion mixture, cream and mustards, and season. Cook until onion has softened. Add potato and gently toss to coat.
5. Remove beef from cooking liquid and cut into thick slices (reserve liquid for storing leftovers). Top with extra parsley and serve with potato.Tips
- Store any leftover corned beef slices in the cooking liquid and keep in the fridge. Then, just reheat the meat and liquid in a frying pan and drain to serve.- Cold beef slices are delicious with sourdough bread, cheddar cheese, tomato chutney, pickles or mustard.