- TV & Video
- Renovation & Decorating
- How To
- Be Healthy
- home beautiful
Granny Smith apples work best in this recipe as they are crisp and acidic.
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Put cream cheese, flour, and baking powder in a food processor and process until crumbs form. Add 200g of butter and pulse briefly, only until the butter is lumpy. Add cream and vinegar and pulse again, until butter appears as large specks. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces, flatten into discs and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, put apple, lemon juice, sugar and spices in a large bowl and toss to combine. Set aside for 2 hours to macerate.
3. Strain apple liquid into a small saucepan. Put over a low heat and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Toss apple in cornflour to coat. Stir liquid into apples and set aside.
4. Roll each dough disc to 22cm pie dia and 5mm thick. Line 22cm pie dish with 1 dough disc. Spoon apple mixture into lining.
5. Top with remaining sic and seal using a little water. use your fingertips to crimp edges, then cut a cross in centre.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until pastry is golden and apple is tender. Cool in dish for 10 minutes. Serve with ice-cream.