Inject a touch of Middle-Eastern flair into your favourite chicken roast with a homemade harissa and the sweet ’n’ smoky baharat spice mix (available from specialty food stores).
- Preparation time:
- 20 mins plus 1 hour marinating time
- Cooking time:
- 40 mins
1.4kg chicken, butterflied, breastbone removed
180ml olive oil
2 tsp baharat spice mix
2 tsp ground fennel seed
5 large cloves garlic, crushed
2½ tsp salt
10 grinds black pepper
2 sprigs thyme
Parsley leaves, to serve
Lemon wedges, to serve
50ml extra virgin olive oil
50g long red chilli, roasted, deseeded, skin removed
150g red pepper, roasted, deseeded, skin removed
100ml tomato puree
1 Tbsp roasted garlic
3 pinches salt
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp ground cumin, toasted
1 tsp ground caraway seeds, toasted
Black pepper, to season
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Slash breast and legs of chicken horizontally and rub with oil.
2. Use a mortar and pestle to grind baharat spice mix, fennel, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme until combined. Massage mixture into chicken and set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
3. Roast chicken for 35-40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, to make harissa, put all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Spread on a serving platter.
5. Top harissa with chicken and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THIS RECIPE
Mary Harris, Jo Richardson, Cass Stokes, Mary Harris, Annie Millar
Alan Benson, Chris L Jones, Jack Sarafian, Oliver Ford, Cath Muscat