Fuel your kids’ need for speed with a super-fast pro racetrack.
Playing with toy cars is every littlie’s idea of good fun. So, rev things up and ignite their inner speed racer by building a mini racetrack where cars can tumble through a tunnel, crash into the sides and roll along the finish line. The cars may be tiny, but the competition is fierce!
Gather your supplies
Sand & Cement mix (2 bags)
70mm Bricktor or chicken wire
Black oxide powder
Old motorcycle tyre
Selection of small plants (such as mini mondo grass, variegated oregano or Scleranthus biflorus)
- Step 1: Using rope, mark out track on turf, then outline with set-out paint. Excavate inside lines to a depth of 100mm and roughly level ground.
- Step 2: Place tyre in desired position, then excavate so half of tyre sits below ground.
- Step 3: Put 2 bags of Sand & Cement mix and a capful of black oxide powder in a wheelbarrow and blend thoroughly. Slowly add water until mixture is stiff.
- Step 4: Line trench with Bricktor to prevent concrete from cracking.
- Step 5: Shovel cement mixture into trench, level with a float, smooth with a trowel. <b>TIP:</b> If mixture isn’t as dark as desired, sprinkle black oxide powder onto surface, spread with wooden float and smooth with trowel.
- Step 6: Remove turf from inside of track and backfill with garden soil. Plant up, mulch and gently water.
- Step 7: Trace and cut out a chequerboard pattern onto a sheet of plastic. Place on track and spray-paint white. Make stencils for lane markings and for the word ‘Start’, and spray-paint onto track.
- Step 8: To make ‘safety barrier’, cut poly tube to length and wrap electrical tape, in a spiral, around it. Place along edge on sections of track. Secure with pegs. Put flags near finish line.
You’ll also need
Shovel; safety stakes (flags); 13mm black poly tube; white spray paint; white electrical tape; playground mulch; steel trowel; wooden float; wheelbarrow; mallet; rope; set-out paint; sheet of plastic; tent pegs; utility knife.