How to make a Christmas tree wall hanging
November 23, 2012, 2:10 pm
How to make a Christmas tree wall hanging, beautifully jewelled. How delighted would you be to receive this little gem as a gift?
Gather your supplies
Assorted plain and print fabrics
Assorted decorations and bells
20mm-dia dowel, same length as width of quilt
General sewing supplies
- Step 1: Enlarge Christmas Tree Diagram (above), to desired size and cut 25 squares, adding a 6mm seam allowance around each square.
- Step 2: Follow the grid and with right sides facing, use a 6mm seam to stitch squares together, creating 6 strips. You should have one square remaining.
- Step 3: Using a 6mm seam, stitch the strips and square together to form tree shape.
- Step 4: Cut cotton batting slightly larger than pieced tree, then baste to its wrong side.
- Step 5: Cut a backing piece to same size as tree. With right sides facing, and leaving a small opening for turning, stitch front to back. Trim batting to fabric edge. Turn right-side out, slip-stitch opening closed and press.
- Step 6: To quilt, stitch in the ditch along seam lines. Remove basting threads.
- Step 7: Embellish to your heart’s content with beads, ribbons, threads and trims. Mount decorated tree in box frame and display pride of place for all to admire.