What can be more beautiful for a nursery than squares of your favourite tana lawn and cotton prints stitched together to make the prettiest of cot quilts. This quilt pattern is perfect for a first-time quilter, it makes up quickly into a colourful keepsake for a new arrival. If you’d like to make a larger version for a single or double bed, just add more squares!
Gather your supplies
30 x 20cm squares assorted tana lawn prints or cotton fabrics
90cm backing fabric
30cm fabric for binding; 90 x 104cm batting
Finished size: about 76 x 91cm (30 x 36ʺ)
- Step 1: CUTTING
Cut fabrics for top into 30 x 6½ʺ squares. Cut four 2½ʺ strips from binding fabric, press in half lengthways and set aside.
- Step 2: ASSEMBLING THE QUILT TOP
Lay squares out in 5 rows of 6. Move squares as needed to balance colours.
- Step 3: Using a ¼ʺ sewing foot, with right sides together, stitch adjacent sides of 2 squares together. Continue stitching squares to make a row of 6 squares. Repeat process to make 4 more rows. Press seams to one side.
- Step 4: Stitch rows together to make quilt top of 5 x 6 squares. Press seams.
- Step 5: FINISHING THE QUILT
Cut backing fabric and batting to 35 x 41ʺ. Follow Assembling The Quilt instructions to make a fabric sandwich and pin layers together. Use a quilter's marker and ruler to mark long diagonal lines, intersecting the corners of each block on quilt top. Mark diagonal lines in opposite direction, too. Using a walking foot, machine stitch along diagonal lines, beginning at centre. Trim batting and backing fabric to same size as quilt top.
- Step 6: BINDING
Measure width of quilt through centre and cut 2 pressed binding strips to this measurement. With right side of binding fabric facing quilt top, line raw edges of pressed binding strip up to corresponding edge of quilt top and stitch through all layers, using ¼ʺ allowance. Turn binding to back of quilt and slipstitch in place using matching thread. Repeat for opposite side.
- Step 7: Measure width of quilt through centre, including binding. Add 1ʺ to this measurement and cut 2 binding strips. Press each end under ½ʺ. Stitch each strip to quilt as in Step 5, encasing bound sides. Slipstitch closed opening at each casing end.