- TV & Video
- Renovation & Decorating
- How To
- Be Healthy
- home beautiful
January 29, 2007, 9:45 am betterhomesgardens
Crackling is for everyone. All you need to get a good crackled finish is the right materials - no skill is needed!
Satin varnish (water-based)
1. Seal the pot inside and out with all-purpose sealer. Allow it to dry.
2. Using the 1 inch basecoat brush, apply one or if necessary to get good coverage, two coats of Navy Blue paint to the outside of the pot and allow it to dry. Note: the crackle medium will only work over acrylic paint.
3. Use the 1 inch brush to apply a smooth, even coat of crackle medium over the basecoat. Leave it to dry until it is smooth and no longer tacky to the touch - 20 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Using the Light Olive paint and a clean basecoat brush, apply an even coat of paint over the dry crackle medium. Note that pearlescent and metallic acrylics will not work as a top coat. Once you have applied this coat, the crackling effect will begin immediately. Do not rework the final coat, as this will ruin the crackling effect.
5. Let the pot dry for 24 hours. Apply two or three coats of satin varnish with the varnish brush.
Tip: Olive on navy gives a subtle finish to this garden pot but you can gain more dramatic effects with brighter colours.Source: Making Beautiful Trims, Edges and Finishing Touches (Murdoch Books)
Let's face it - there's nothing like walking into...
Find the right colour for your space with this...