Local Curl Curl speedster Jared West has won this year’s Cancer Council’s City Mile Dash – Sydney’s most competitive lunchtime speed race around Barangaroo.
Jared, who was joined by more than 1,300 spirited Sydney city workers, took out the title with a time of 00:04:28 on Friday 15 June.
By participating in the one mile (1.6km) event, Jared has helped Cancer Council NSW raise over $119,000 towards testicular and ovarian cancer research and treatment.
Dr Andrew Penman AM, CEO, Cancer Council NSW, congratulated Jared on his victory and thanked all Sydneysiders who participated in this year’s City Mile Dash.
“The good news is around a third of cancers are preventable through healthy lifestyle choices. By taking a lunchbreak and participating in regular exercise, we can stay healthy, make a difference and help fight cancer,” said Dr Penman.Other winners and the highest fundraisers:
- City Mile Dash Female Winner – Lisa Corrigan – 00.04.45
- City Mile Dash Team winner – The Hurtz Squad – 00.18.49 /combined team time
- Female Bootcamp Challenge winner – Sharon Koelewyn (from Rosebery) – 00.07.35
- Male Bootcamp Challenge winner - Shaun Malligan – 00.05.41
- Highest fundraiser – Mary-Lynne Taylor - $6,515.00
The 2nd highest fundraising team were a group of young kids called 'The Inner Westies' who raised an impressive $5,252.