Could it be that lycra has replaced the Lamborghini? There’s even a name for this growing cycling phenomenon – the Mamil (middle-aged men in lycra), or the “new mans’ shed”. And who can blame them? Cycling allows men to enjoy the great outdoors with great machinery, great workout gear and great gadgets, and all the while keeping the middle aged spread at bay. There’s even Mamil collectives, where groups of men take to morning rides, or go on cycling weekends. It’s provides the type of social support that men can crave, but don’t verbalise.
Here’s what you need to become a fully fledged bike rider:• A good quality bike that you enjoy riding
• A helmet
• A water cage and drink bottle
• A pump and puncture repair kit
• Lights (if you intend to ride outside daylight hours)
Here’s some of the items you will need to become a fully fledged Mamil:• Lycra shorts
• Bright coloured clothing so cars will notice you
• On board bike computer / GPS
• Riding sun glasses
• Cycling shoes (which lock your feet to the pedal)
• A group of blokes to ride with
• A word on safety
• It’s wise to be very careful on the road, and ride as though you can’t be seen. Remember to use your arms to indicate the direction you are turning, and keep an eye out for car doors that are about to open.
• Do you enjoy bike riding? Are you a Mamil, or do you have any mates who have adopted the cycling lifestyle?
For free training tools and expert advice from Blackmores’ team of trainers, physios and naturopaths, visit Blackmores.